Home Remedies for Vaginal Itching
This is not a friendly topic to discuss. You may be reading this in privacy because of the shame that is associated with the discussion. And it is true, it is a private matter…only to the extent that you are unable to manage it on your own.
But vaginal itching isn’t a new problem. Women across the world face it several times a year. Vagina needs close attention compared to care that men given to their private parts. In fact, for men, it self-cleans itself. As long as you keep your body clean, the testicles and Uncle Joe are good to go. They don’t face as many infections as our little sisters.
People develop itches on various parts of the body and is not an issue to worry about. You only need to get topical creams and your issue will be solved. Because most are fungal infections that often lead to development of rashes on the skin.
But when itching develops close to the vulva, vagina and clitoris, the issue becomes worrying. It is uncomfortable and these are sensitive parts that are easily torn if itching is what you will do to relieve the discomfort.
Causes and types of vaginal infections
There are three main causes of itching or redness of the vagina: trichomoniasis, chlamydia and viral vaginitis. Almost all of the itching is caused by fungal infections. It is commonly referred to as yeast.
You should be concerned if itching is associated with thin, fishy odour discharge. It may be a sign of bacterial vaginosis. This condition may not show any symptoms at all and is screened only with a gynecologic exam. It is a bacterial infection which will not respond to yeast of fungal treatments.
Vaginal itching is also caused by viral infections such as herpes simplex virus (HSV). This can cause severe itching and is one of the most common infections in both men and women. Once infected, you live with it for life. You develop a condition called herpes, which can cause itchy lesions or sores. But these tend to go away on their own. Fewer episodes will result. It has treatments but like any other viral infection, no cure.
Common causes of vaginal itching include are related to yeast, which thrives in warm and moist environments.
Home remedies for vaginal infections
- Bath with baking soda. Just apply a tablespoonful into a basin of your bathing water.
- Ensure you wear cotton briefs. They will absorb sweat and other excretions.
- If you are pregnant, this is expected. Hormonal changes and weakened immune system can cause increased potential for infections.
- Wipe after short calls using clean tissue paper
- Insist on condom, especially if you have multiple sexual partners. Most diseases are transmitted during unprotected sexual intercourse.
- Hygiene. Regular cleaning and keeping it dry until next use. Especially from front to back and not back to front. You will be making it more susceptible to infections
- Young girls should change pads or diapers regularly and ensure they are clean and dry.
- Don’t touch it unless you need to. This will prevent infections
Other home remedies
- Take oatmeal
- Consume more of vitamin E
- Eat more garlic. It has more of this to clear and prevent more yeast/ fungal infections
- You can apply coconut oil. It has some antibacterial and antibiotic properties Just take a drop and rub infected areas with your fingers
- Consider eating more of probiotic foods. These will increase the population of healthy fungus in your system and especially the gut. Examples of probiotic food include kombucha, kimchi and yoghurt. Have this as often as possible when you such infections.
- Take a bath with apple cider vinegar added to your water. This can kill some bacteria and reduce infections. ACV is both an antifungal and antibacterial.